Saturday, September 20, 2008

first Thai food crisis

I am now sitting on my bed because I don't have any other options. My stomach seems to have tied itself in a knot, which is rendering me somewhat immobile. I know this, because I was just mobile. . .

We spent the morning checking out a few new hostels, none of which we were as good as the one we are in. At lunch we met a man from Vermont whose brother in law works with my mother. We found a reasonable looking restaurant to eat, then went to visit the Jim Thompson house, a house built by an American man who embraced the Thai culture in the early 20th century. In the house there were many artifacts, paintings, silk, pottery, gardens, and buildings.

After visiting there, we went towards Nick's apartment because there is a large park, one of the few in Bangkok. We, being Vermonters, were in need of some green grass, trees and water. We visited the park, took some pictures, and relaxed. As we were leaving, my stomach started to feel like it wasn't interested in cooperating with me.

After eating dinner at a bad, faux-french restaurant, we decided it was a good idea to high-tail it home. At this point, both Chris and Katie got the same stomach problem I had. The look of the three of us on the train must have been amusing- these crazy farang (foreigners) pale-faced and doubled over, swaying gently back and forth with the train, clinging to a handle hanging from the ceiling and hoping our weight wouldn't slip off the pole sending us tumbling to the ground, leaving our poor arms behind, still attached the the handle. Ok, so maybe that's overkill, but we still didn't look great.

This brings me back to the beginning, where I was mobile. We walked all the way back from the train (10-12 mins), considerably uncomfortable the whole way. Now, I find myself relatively stable, yet immobile.

more to come tomorrow.

2 comments:

Lee said...

So......are you sick, or what? Is it what you ate? Did you "get over" it or are you all in bed with stomach cramps, etc.? Ugh!

Nice that you met Nick, though. Matt will be happy about that - he asked me Friday if you'd connected with him.

Lots of love,
Mom

Auntie A said...

Hope you are both feeling better and out exploring again!